Thursday 15 March 2012

Still Weaving!

Hi all,  I thought I'd give you an update on what I've been up to.  Firstly I warped the 4 shaft table loom up .... wrongly!  And it took me a few days to sort everything out so it weaves smoothly.  And that's when I accidently discovered why I wasn't getting a big enough shed to push the shuttle through.  Apparently I should have put the apron over the front bar.  While I was rearranging the threads that I had sleyed the reed with I put the apron over the front bar and as I then sleyed the reed I tied smaller bunches of threads to the apron.  When I had finished I discovered that now the thread was tied to the apron, I couldn't put the apron under the bar.  So I thought, what harm could it do?  And the answer?  No harm at all :)  As it turns out having the front threads high over the bar actually creates a larger shed....woohoo :) ... one happy weaver!

As I think I've mentioned before, I am totally self taught and this loom didn't come with any instructions whatsoever.  I have almost finished weaving my piece on it.  However, it hasn't all be plain sailing.  I started off making a red cushion cover but ran out of thread 20 inches into the project, so now I have a red and white cushion cover with some red fabric to make something else with, or to incorporate into the cushion covers I'm making.  I refuse to waste any fabric that I've laboured over for days....weeks.... ;-)

While I have been weaving on the table loom during the day, I drew up a pattern to weave on my Inkle loom.  It was a proper 'inkle' pattern (I usually do card weaving!) and it only took me a couple of days to warp and weave it.  I'm very pleased with the result and will be incorporating the band on my cushion covers.  I can 100%, categorically say, that there will be no other cushion covers like mine in the whole world because I have designed and woven them myself from start to finish (I didn't spin the wool though...not this time anyway!).  So, watch this space for photos ... coming soon!

Also, I had an unusual experience while shopping the other day.  I went into the local haberdashery and bought 1.5 metres of black leather thonging to tie the connecting rod to the foot peddle on my loom.  Yes, I know I didn't need that much but I wanted to make sure I had some replacement if it broke.  Opposite the sewing shop a Sue Ryder charity shop had opened up so I went in for a mooch around (you never know what treasures they have lurking in the corners!) and found a leather belt that was designed with the leather cut into long thin strips, like thonging.  I can get 20 one metre thongs out of it...woohoo!  All for £1.25...bargain!  I've looked online for leather but it's so expensive, even for offcuts.

It wasn't much of an update but I've been busy with lots of things just lately.

Thanks for reading....byeeeeee! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment